Channel memories from the good ol’ days with these warm, gooey Vegan Vanilla Matcha Rolls!
Makes 8 rolls.
Recipe credit: Fueled Naturally.
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 packet instant (or rapid-rise) yeast
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter (divided)
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp Culinary Grade Matcha
- 4 Tbsp cane sugar (divided)
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, place the almond milk and 2 Tbsp vegan butter. Place bowl in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, or until warm and vegan butter melted. Remove from heat and let cool to be warm (not hot!). Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast, but do not stir. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp sugar and pinch of salt, then stir.
- Next, add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. (You can then use your hands as it will get difficult to stir because it will become thick!)
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and kneed for 30 seconds to a minute. Add your dough ball back into your mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 Tbsp cane sugar and 1 Tbsp Matcha and mix until well combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter. Then sprinkle over your sugar and Matcha mixture.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife cut the dough into 1.5-2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8-inch square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 8 rolls). Brush with remaining 1 Tbsp vegan butter (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise for 15 minutes and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make your glaze by combining the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk, whisking together and setting aside until ready to use. If the glaze is too thick, add 1/2-1 Tbsp almond milk; if too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
- Once rolls are baked, let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle and serve immediately. Enjoy!
We recommend using our Original Japanese Matcha for this recipe.Buy Original Matcha